Monday, December 14, 2009

Laughter- The Best Medicine

I don’t know why, but I’ve always gotten great pleasure from chaotic or frustrating circumstances. For example, when I was a child and I had done something wrong, my mother would find me and explain what I did and how it had hurt others Instead of being scared, defiant, or sorrowful as most other children would, I would laugh. This may sound crazy, and I don’t know exactly what I was thinking at the time, but there was something about the situation that always made me laugh. Don’t for an instance assume that I didn't regret what I had done, or that I found pleasure in my disobedient actions. It just that, in that moment when my mom was frustrated and mad, and the chaos of the situation was overwhelming everyone and everything, I couldn't help but laugh. Instinctively I'd find anything in the moment to find funny and have a good time with it. My mom would get so frustrated when I did this. She'd yell at me, "Don't laugh when I'm trying to punish you!" which of course, made me laugh even harder. Obviously I have grown up since then, but I have still retained that ability in the face of chaos to laugh in order to cope with the situation.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You probably hate to hear this, but you really were the cutest little kid ever. And you always have had that ability to laugh except in circumstances of pure rage, which are rare. Love your sense of humor and making life fun for others.

Marcus said...

Happy recent birthday--reminded by the cake. You and your half-moon eyes while laughing are the greatest ever.

Liese said...

That is so funny and I LOVE the picture!

Fred said...

Thanks for being a great bro. I like how you find humor in everything. You are one of those people who might start smiling or laughing at a joke in your head out of blue.

christine said...

I am up late and decided to read my children's blogs. I am glad I did. I loved what you wrote about Grandma. She really is an amazing person. Thank you for helping her when she needs it. I am so glad you are having the opportunity to get to know her better. I loved all of your nature pictures. They were beautiful. I need to take more time to stop and smell the roses so to speak. You have been a great delight to me. You have helped to make being a mother fun. Keep smiling.

christine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
christine said...

ooops!! I did something wrong because my comments were printed up twice. That is the part of me that is technologically challenged coming through.

Kasey said...

oh my gosh chuckles, i love that picture. almost as much as i love you ;)