Saturday, December 19, 2009

Compassion for the Self

My perspective of myself had changed lately. The other day I was driving to school filled with all my worries and saying to myself how much I hated my life right now. Suddenly a spoken line came into my mind from a song I had listened to a week before. It says, “So I was sitting at the bar and this guy came up to me and said ‘my life stinks’ and I saw his gold credit card and I saw the way that he was looking at people across the room and I looked at his face and you know…what a good looking face, and I just said ‘dude, your perspective on life sucks!’” (Blame it on the Girls---Mika). I realized that my perspective on life sucks. I had been dwelling in self pity instead of giving myself a break---Finals week can do that to you---I really do have so much to offer the world. I've come to realize I don’t need to lump negativity on myself. I’m beginning to allow myself to work out the issues that have been bothering me instead of letting them fester. But the biggest change I’ve made is simply not allowing me to think the phrase “I hate my life” or “my life sucks.” I don’t really mean them anyway, they just became a habit. This small difference has changed my outlook and actions. I’m beginning to tackle issues instead of worrying about them. I really am making a change in my perspective.

4 comments:

Fred said...

You're doing great Charles.

Unknown said...

True thoughts. Awesome.

Rachel Leslie said...

So I looked at the music video of this on youtube. It's kind of cool . . kind of like your life. NExt time you think such a phrase, you can replace it with something like "Whatever! I am the cousin of RAchel Donaldson CRAnney . . my life is the best!

christine said...

I love you Charles. From your greatest admirer!!