Saturday, March 6, 2010

Discontent

“Now is the winter of our discontent” this is the famous line that begins Shakespeare’s Richard III.

How fitting is it of Shakespeare to pair winter with discontent. With all the snow on the ground and the leaves and flowers hidden beneath a blanket of white; winter is painted with a pallet of brown, white, and grays, with just the occasional hint of green. Lately the weather has been teasing us; giving us just a taste of what spring will afford, and then covering it all over again with a blanket of white. Don’t get me wrong, I love winter. I love the feeling of warmth in my bed when I know it’s surrounded by the cool winters morning. I love the traditions of winter as my family goes hiking through the woods to hunt for the perfect Christmas tree. And I love the exhilaration that comes from hurling down a hill with nothing between you and the ground but a thin sheet of plastic. But I’m done with all that now. I AM filled with discontent. I want spring to come so I can see the world transform from the dull pallet of winter to the vibrant rainbow of spring.

Winter is now in the stage where the snow is all soggy and slushy and I don’t really want to go outside anymore, so today I decided to get off my butt and go walk around. I decided to go take a small walk back up Rock Canyon. I went there in the fall a few times and have avoided it in winter because of the snow. It was actually a really nice day today. There was just a little chill, but I wore my coat. I didn’t have my normal camera so I thought I’d test out my new phone’s camera and see what kind of shots I could get. I’m actually really impresses with the pictures I got.

So, in order to further chase away this feeling of discontent I share my photos with all of you, my readers. I hope you enjoy them.


Opp...I forgot to mention, I grew a beard this winter as well.
Like I said before, there's not a lot to see in Winter, so I tried to focus on what I could.
Oh I almost forgot, I was walking along the path and I noticed that there was a trail up the side of this hill. It looked as though it lead to a cave. 
I debated whether to rekindle my childhood and go and explore the cave, or to shy away knowing what shady things can go on inside a cave. I finally climbed up and had a look around. The cave was very shallow but it had a really nice view. So a snapped a few pics.
And back to the trail for one last picture.

6 comments:

Louise Christine said...

Love it Chuck! Your phone did a very nice job. It is nice to get out and walk. I love walks, lets venture together sometime. Love you.

Marcus said...

Beautiful pics, brother!

Rachel Leslie said...

wow! The pictures just keep getting better and better.

Meggie said...

Those are great! Loved it.

Fred said...

Thanks for the cave pic. It took me back. I am soooo sick of the snow. You are a good writer. Nice.

christine said...

I loved the pictures, Charles. I really enjoyed what you had to say. I want to go for a walk up the canyon too. It is beautiful no matter what time of year it is. U R Greaaat!